For the second week in a row a storm wiped out many events in the UK. Following hard of the hills of Ciara this time Dennis took out the Hertfordshire County Cross Country Championships for Veterans and popular pre-London Marathon events like the Bramley 20.
However before the full force of Dennis arrived in Stevenage two Spartans achieved BIG Parkrun milestones – FIONA CLARKE ran her 100th and VERITY FISHER her 300th – at 9a.m. on Saturday morning.
John Roxborough and Richard Cowlishaw travelled to Barcelona this weekend to run the BCN half marathon along with 23,000 other runners. The weather was perfect, the course was flat and it was a well organised event. Richard ran it in a time of 1:43.05 and John ran 2:29:30 alongside his wife Sarah to support her as she has recently got back into running again after having a couple of children. Richard’s wife Maggie also ran her first (and only) half marathon. They would highly recommend this event for anyone who fancies a European city break and a warmer February run.
Parkrun Highlights 15th February 2020
The threat of storm Dennis did not deter 33 brave Fairlands Valley Spartans from putting on their trainers and running in eight different Parkrun events this Saturday morning. In Stevenage, MO WARRILLOW ran a personal best (PB) time of 25 minutes and 44 seconds, while milestone runs saw VERITY FISHER finish her 300th Parkrun in 28 minutes and 27 seconds and FIONA CLARKE her 100th in 30 minutes and 40 seconds. A PB time was also recorded by HANNAH NEALE, who finished as the 10th female on the Coldham’s Common course in a time of 21 mins and 34 secs. GRACE BROWN was the second female to finish the Ellenbrook Fields event in 23 mins and 13 secs.
(All this week’s Spartan parkrun results can be found near the end of this release).
Fairlands Valley Spartans presentation evening, dinner and dance will be at the Cromwell Hotel, Old Stevenage on Friday 28th February. An amazing 105 members and friends will be there.
The Spartans are growing. At November 2019 FVS had 346 members, 177 women and 169 men – that’s more than the previous year.
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks including:
- Baldock Beast (Half Marathon) on Sunday 23rd February.
- Serpentine 5K in Hyde Park on Friday 28th February.
- FVS Champions Night and Dinner on Friday 28th February.
- Berkhamsted Half Marathon and Five on Sunday 1st March.
- Hillingdon 20 including Hertfordshire county championships on Sunday 8th March.
- Half Marathons in Bath, Hampton Court, Milton Keynes and Victoria Park on Sunday 15th March.
- 200th Stevenage Parkrun on Saturday 21st March (exact date will depend on any winter cancellations).
- Orion 15 (classic 15 miles cross country race) at Chingford on Saturday 21st March.
- Bedford Autodrome 5K, 10K; Half; 16 miles; 20 miles and marathon on Sunday 22nd March.
- Victoria Park Five on Saturday 28th March.
- Oakley 20 on Sunday 29th March.
- FVS training (not a race) twenty on Sunday 29th March.
- Peterborough Marathon on Sunday 5th April.
- Sandy Ten on Sunday 5th April.
- Manchester Marathon on Sunday 5th May.
- Maidenhead Easter Ten on Friday 10th April.
- Flitwick 10K on Sunday 19th April.
- The 2020 London Marathon is on Sunday 26th April.
- Greenway Challenge (13.1 miles) in Letchworth on Sunday 3rd May.
- County Track Championships in early May.
- Midweek League Race One (six miles) in Chingford on Thursday 14th May.
- Bedford Spring Half Marathon on Saturday 16th May.
- Pednor Five (County Championship) near Chesham on Monday 25th May.
- Hatfield Broad Oak 10K on Monday 25th May.
- Mid Week Road Race League Race Two (10K) in Stevenage (FVS) on Thursday 28th May.
- Mid Week Road Race League Race Three (10K) in St. Albans on Thursday 4th June.
- Welwyn 10K at Stanborough (new date).
- St Albans Half Marathon (and Stevenage Day) on Sunday 14th June.
- Welwyn 10K (including County senior championships) on Sunday 28th June.
- Mid Week Road Race League Race Four (9K) in Trent Park on Thursday 2nd July.
- Mid Week Road Race League Mob Match (10K) in Welwyn Garden City on Thursday 16th July.
- Fairlands Valley Challenge in Stevenage on Sunday 19th July.
- Relays in the Park (3K stages) in Fairlands Valley Park on Thursday 23rd July.
- St. Albans 10K on Sunday 2nd August.
- Bearbrook 10K in Aylesbury on Sunday 2nd August.
- Burnham Beeches Half Marathon on Sunday 9th August.
- Clacton Half Marathon and 10K on Sunday 16th August.
- Bedford Half Marathon on Sunday 6th September.
- Standalone 10K (including County veteran championships) on Sunday 4th October (TBC).
- Great Eastern Run (half marathon) in Peterborough on Sunday 11th October.
- Stevenage Half Marathon (including County senior championships) on Sunday 1st November (TBC).
- St Neots Half Marathon on Sunday 15th November.
- Bass Belle ten miles on Sunday 29th November.
Spartan Parkruns on Saturday 15th February:
|Bournemouth parkrun||504||165||Sally PICKLES||34:06|
|Stevenage parkrun||67||58||Gareth COWELL||23:34|
|123||15||Mo WARRILLOW||25:44||New PB!|
|192||32||Verity FISHER||28:27||300th Parkrun|
|242||52||Fiona CLARKE||30:40||100th Parkrun|
|Gunpowder parkrun||129||32||Rowena RUTLEDGE||28:40|
|Ormskirk parkrun||261||153||Darryl STEVENS||35:51|
|Panshanger parkrun||177||131||Andy JAY||30:58|
|Ellenbrook Fields parkrun||30||2||Grace BROWN||23:13|
|Walmer and Deal Seafront parkrun||165||60||Sharon CROWLEY||34:41|
|Coldham’s Common parkrun||51||10||Hannah NEALE||21:34||New PB!|