Click here to sign up using our online Membership Form.
We know it can be daunting joining a new club, especially if you are new to running. We’ve all been through it and we want to make it as painless as possible for you to join us. Here’s a little bit of background information about us.
- Primarily, we are a road running club based in Stevenage but our itinerary also includes track and off-road activities
- We have around 350 members and meet for various sessions to suit a wide range of abilities
Friendliness is very much a theme for the Spartans who try to support a wide range of members with a variety of abilities. We cater for everyone, from those wishing just to run with others for company, to those training to compete in various races over a range of distances. We feel that you should “try before you buy”‘! Come along for up to 4 training sessions and then join up using our easy on-line membership process.
What we offer
We believe that club membership with England Athletics affiliation at £41 for the year represents fantastic value. Below is more detail on what the club offers:
- Starters sessions on Monday (excl. bank holidays) and Thursday evenings.These offer a run/walk environment for beginners to start you on your running journey. These may be your first steps towards a marathon.
- Interval sessions on Tuesday evenings. Up to 6 groups out simultaneously – you will be running with similarly paced runners. There is a group for you, whatever your ability, providing a progression path as you improve. Including those runners progressing from the starters group. Tuesday intervals feature regrouping during the recoveries, where the faster runners return to the back of the group to ensure nobody falls behind.
- Monthly club session. Once a month the separate Tuesday groups merge together to become a very popular club session. All runners of all abilities train together which fosters club-wide team spirit and support. Club sessions are run on loops, or as out and backs, to suit all abilities.
- Thursday evening development session. Focusing typically on running technique and form, or hill sessions. These are run over loops or out and back shuttles and suitable for all ability levels.
- Thursday evening 5 mile steady. Another option on a Thursday with re-grouping to ensure nobody is dropped.
- Saturday Track session. The club hires the track at Ridlins Stadium and provides a free track session on Saturday mornings, suitable for all ability levels. A normal track session for a non-member or with a club that charges a track fee, would typically be charged £2.50 to £3 per session, so this represents well over £100 of value over the course of the year.
- Sunday morning social runs in two groups. Two sessions of 10miles and 6miles head out to the surrounding countryside. The longer run is aimed at faster runners but, as always, the fastest runners will regularly regroup back to the slower runners so that no one is left behind.
- UKA-licensed leaders. All official sessions are led by UKA-licensed coaches or run leaders who have been trained to lead the session in a safe manner. The club regularly reviews the coaching requirement and the club funds the courses when new leader requirements and candidates are identified.
- Free entry to the midweek league. – 5 races between 5 miles and 10k run in May and June, open to all the club’s runners.
- Free entry to the Sunday Cross Country League. – five races between 5 and 6 miles run from October to February. Again this is open to all members.
- Free vest. For 2020/21, members running for the club for the first time in one of the above team events will be given a free club vest.
- Club 5k handicap. Races are run during the lighter months of the year.
- EMAC. For the over-35s the club enter a men’s and a women’s team in the EMAC track & field league (note this does require an additional membership of the Eastern Masters Athletics Club)
- County and National Cross Country. Additionally the club funds entry fees to the county and national cross-country races.
- 3000m Relays. The club hosts the 3000m County Championship relays in July and covers the entry cost of any Spartan teams that take part.
- Discount to UKA licensed races. Your England Athletics (EA) affiliation typically entitles you to £2 discount on your entry fee to any races run under UK Athletics licences if you select the “affiliated runner” option and input your EA unique reference number at the time you enter the race.
- Kit Discounts. Your club membership entitles you to a discount and free postage with www.sportsshoes.com, and as an affiliated member of England Athletics you will receive regular email bulletins with discount offers from EA’s partners.
- Presentation evening. The club organises a subsidised annual presentation/awards dinner at which the club champions, Spartan of the Year and other awards are presented.
Not sure where to find us?
Follow these links for maps of the locations we use for training and racing
Still not sure?
We hope you will agree that at less than £1 per week the combined club membership and EA affiliation represents excellent value for anyone looking to train and/or race regularly.
You welcome to join us for 4 sessions to try out, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and the membership secretary will liase with you to book you on to a suitable group with a vacancy and make sure you know when and where to meet.
We look forward to welcoming you soon to the Fairlands Valley Spartans!
New to running.
Learn all about our New Starter Group here
Make sure you stay safe when out running. View our page Be Safe, Be Seen, Be A Spartan
Heading out on your first race.
Your first race can be quite daunting. Visit our What to do at a race page for hints and tips on what to expect at a race.