Click here to sign up using our online Membership Form.
Here’s a little bit of background information about us. You can read below about trial sessions.
- Primarily, we are a road running club based in Stevenage but our itinerary also includes track and off-road activities
- We have around 300 members and meet for various sessions to suit a wide range of abilities
Friendliness and fun is very much a theme for the Spartans. We support a wide range of members with a variety of abilities from complete beginners to established marathon runners. We cater for all abilities, from those wishing just to run with others for company in a safe environment, to those who enjoy training to compete. We offer a trial period for all prospective runners and will introduce you to a coach on your first visit to help introduce you to the club members.
What we offer
£43 for the full year membership represents fantastic value with no hidden costs. Below is more detail on what the club offers:
- Starters sessions on Monday evenings. The starter session follows a run/walk program that has been in place before C25K was even a thing.
- Tuesday evenings. Runners are usually put into groups according to ability. Each group is assigned a qualified leader. During the session we operate regular regrouping, where the faster runners return to the back of the group to ensure everybody is fully supported, and the leader can keep an eye on all runners.
- Monthly club session. Once a month we hold a full club session. All runners of all abilities train together closely, creating a club-wide team spirit and providing support for each other.
- Thursday evening. Usually a 5 mile and a 3 mile lead route. Again with regrouping so all runners stay together in a safe and supportive environment.
- Saturday Morning Track session. The club meet at Ridlins Stadium for a track session. This is suitable for all ability levels. Running on the track gives coaches an opportunity to help runners with form and speed. This included session alone saves runners over £200 a year.
- Sunday morning runs. Several runs are lead by qualified leaders. These are varied according to time of year but typically consist of 6 to 10 miles, on road or trail, and often head out to the surrounding villages for picturesque and fun long runs. Members also often arrange their own runs in smaller social groups.
- Development with enjoyment. While all our sessions include some aspect of developing you as a runner, they are also kept light and fun. They represent an opportunity to meet in a safe and supportive environment.
- UKA-licensed leaders. All official sessions are led by UKA-licensed coaches or run leaders who have been trained to lead the session in a safe manner. Leaders are first aid trained. The club regularly reviews the coaching requirement. The club will fund courses for suitable runners who wish to step up and become leaders when additional coaching requirement has been identified.
- Free entry to the midweek league. – 5 races between 5 miles and 10k run in May and June, open to all the club’s runners.
- Free entry to the Sunday Cross Country League. – five races between 5 and 6 miles run from October to February. Again this is open to all members.
- Free vest. New members running for the club for the first time in their first year in one of the above team events will be given a free club vest.
- Club 5k handicap. 5K Races that are run during the lighter months of the year. slower runners start first and faster runners are set off behind with the aim of everyone finishing closely together.
- Athletics. For the over-35s the club enter a men’s and a women’s team in the EMAC track & field league (note this does require an additional membership of the Eastern Masters Athletics Club)
- County and National Cross Country. County and national cross-country races are included in the membership. Including big races at the iconic Parliament Hill that are only open to UKA members.
- 3000m Relays. The club hosts the 3000m County Championship relays in July. A team of 4 runners men, women or mixed run against other teams. Entry cost of any Spartan teams is covered by the club.
- Discount to UKA licensed races. Your England Athletics (EA) affiliation typically entitles you to £2 discount on your entry fee to any races run under UK Athletics licences if you select the “affiliated runner” option and input your EA unique reference number at the time you enter the race.
- Kit Discounts. Your club membership entitles you to a discount and free postage with www.sportsshoes.com, and as an affiliated member of England Athletics you will receive regular email bulletins with discount offers from EA’s partners.
- Presentation evening. The club organises a subsidised annual presentation/awards dinner at which the club champions, Spartan of the Year and other awards are presented.
Follow these links for maps of the locations we use for training and racing
We hope you will agree that at less than £1 per week the combined club membership and EA affiliation represents excellent value for anyone looking to train and/or race regularly.
You’re welcome to join us for 3 sessions to try out, send an email to email@example.com and we will chat and book you on to a suitable group, make sure you know when and where to meet and introduce you to the coach leading your session so you have a person to talk to.
We look forward to welcoming you soon to the Fairlands Valley Spartans!
Learn all about our New Starter Group here
Make sure you stay safe when out running. View our page Be Safe, Be Seen, Be A Spartan
Heading out on your first race.
Your first race can be quite daunting. Visit our What to do at a race page for hints and tips on what to expect at a race.