LIAM HERBERT and MARK CHEADLE ran the Rotary Shakespeare Marathon on Sunday.
Based in and around Stratford-Upon-Avon, during the weekend of William Shakespeare’s 450th birthday celebrations, the marathon course was an undulating two lap circuit meandering alongside the River Avon, taking in countryside villages and a large long section of off-road trail. Shakespearean quote boards were dotted around the course to inspire the participants. Conditions were amicable, with some windy blasts and short bursts of rain.
Liam Herbert ran a new personal best time of 3 hours 15 minutes 2 seconds finishing 63rd out of 732 runners. He improved on his previous best by over 3 minutes. This was his second marathon in 2014.
Mark Cheadle ran his first ever marathon in 4:34:59, finishing in 603rd position.
He was on course for sub-4 hours at the halfway point, but in the end two big hills and a very long section of trail got the better of him, but he enjoyed it all the same!
Watford Open Graded
Spartan STEVE MAYFIELD did his first outdoor 400 metres of the year on Wednesday evening. His time of 59.11 seconds was a personal best and a new club male veteran (45 plus) age best. This came off the back of his best 800 metres for three years (2:25.7) at Gosling last Friday.
Round The Serpentine
JIM BROWN ran the Serpentine Last Friday of the Month 5K in 23 minutes 3 seconds. Slightly faster than last month. He was 171st overall, forty positions better than in March, and fourth in his age category.
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks including the:
• Herts 1500 and Veterans Track and Field Championships on Monday 5th May
• Herts County Five Miles Championships at Pednor on Monday 5th May
• First Mid Week Road Race League (10K) race in Stevenage on Tuesday 13th May
• Second Road Race League (5 miles) race in Chingford on Wednesday 4th June
• Third Road Race League (9K) race in Trent Park on Thursday 12th June
• Fourth Road Race League (10K) in St Albans on Tuesday 1st July
• Mid Week Mob Match (10K) in Welwyn Garden City on Thursday 17th July
• Off Road Challenge in Stevenage on Sunday 20th July
• Relays in the Park in Stevenage on Thursday 31st July
• Handicap 5K in Stevenage on Thursday 14th August.
• Handicap 5K in Stevenage on Thursday 18th September.
• County 5K Veteran Championship in Hatfield on Wednesday 24th September
• County 5K Senior Championship in Hatfield on Wednesday 8th October
• Stevenage Marathon and Half Marathon on Sunday 2nd November
Join The Spartans
Live in or near Stevenage? Like running? Fairlands Valley Spartans is your local running club and is on the up! The club was voted the UK’s Best Running Club in 2010. It now has hundreds of members and encourages participation by all. The Spartans have a varied training programme to suit those who want to run 5 kilometres through to full marathons.
The Spartans weekday training sessions are on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Go along to the new sports centre at Marriotts School – a Sports College, Telford Avenue, Stevenage (SG2 8UT) at 7p.m. Up to five running groups go out on training nights – there will be one to suit you!
The Spartan Starter group starts from Marriotts at 7.30p.m. every Monday (except public holidays) and 7p.m. every Thursday.
Most long Sunday morning training sessions start 9.30a.m. sharp. Spartan track training sessions are held at Ridlins Athletics Track, Woodcock Road, Stevenage most Saturdays from 9.15a.m. There are events to enter every Sunday. Newcomers are very welcome – those who have not done very much running yet might prefer to start with a Thursday, Saturday or Monday session.
Try a few sessions before joining. Membership is only £35 per year, £25 without UKA membership. Concessions are available. Membership forms are available on the Spartans website www.fvspartans.org.uk Please ask if you would like a paper copy.
If you want to know more about the Spartans please contact Jim Brown (0793 968 7509), Vivienne Honey 07702 846304 or visit their website www.fvspartans.org.uk
E N D S
More from Jim Brown (Press Officer) 0793 968 7509 or Vivienne Honey (Secretary) 07702 846304