RHIANNON GRIFFIN won the 60 metres sprint GOLD at the Herts County Indoor Championships. Her time was 9.34 seconds. She also came fourth in the 400 metres in 71 seconds. CHRISTOPHER WESTCOTT claimed the BRONZE medal in the Men’s 800 metres. He clocked 2:11.07 for a new club age group best.
Julie’s Bronze At Cross Country
On a lovely Spring day – sunny, warm and a little windy – JULIE SIMMONS was a BRONZE medallist in the Hertfordshire Cross Country Championships. She was third in the women (55 plus) category and 16th overall in the race with a time of 27 minutes 16 seconds for the 3.2 miles. PETA WILSON was 23rd in the race in 28:57; LORRAINE THOMAS 35th in 34:05 and SHARON CROWLEY 38th in 35:44.
Colchester Half Marathon
DANIEL BATES finished 137th out of 1,618 runners with a time of 1 hour 35 minutes 43 seconds.
Fairlands Valley Spartans are organising a coach to the London Marathon on Sunday, 13 April for those running. Spaces are available at £10, departing from Stevenage Old Town at 6.30a.m. Further details given on booking. If you are interested please contact Roger Biggs on email@example.com or 07748 326301.
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks including the:
• Club training 20 on Sunday 23rd March
• Handicap 5K in Stevenage on Thursday 20th March
• Last Friday 5K in Hyde Park on Friday 28th March
• Herts 1500 and Veterans Track and Field Championships on 5th May
• First Mid Week Road Race League (10K) race in Stevenage on Tuesday 13th May
• Second Road Race League (5 miles) race in Chingford on Wednesday 4th June
• Third Road Race League (9K) race in Trent Park on Thursday 12th June
• Fourth Road Race League (10K) in St Albans on Tuesday 1st July
• Mid Week Mob Match (10K) in Welwyn Garden City on Thursday 17th July
• Off Road Challenge in Stevenage on Sunday 20th July
• Relays in the Park in Stevenage on Thursday 31st July
• Stevenage Marathon and Half Marathon on Sunday 2nd November
Join The Spartans
Live in or near Stevenage? Like running? Fairlands Valley Spartans is your local running club and is on the up! The club was voted the UK’s Best Running Club in 2010. It now has hundreds of members and encourages participation by all. The Spartans have a varied training programme to suit those who want to run 5 kilometres through to full marathons.
The Spartans weekday training sessions are on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Go along to the new sports centre at Marriotts School – a Sports College, Telford Avenue, Stevenage (SG2 8UT) at 7p.m. Up to five running groups go out on training nights – there will be one to suit you!
The Spartan Starter group starts from Marriotts at 7.30p.m. every Monday (except public holidays) and 7p.m. every Thursday.
Most long Sunday morning training sessions start 9.30a.m. sharp. Spartan track training sessions are held at Ridlins Athletics Track, Woodcock Road, Stevenage most Saturdays from 9.15a.m. There are events to enter every Sunday. Newcomers are very welcome – those who have not done very much running yet might prefer to start with a Thursday, Saturday or Monday session.
Try a few sessions before joining. Membership is only £35 per year, £25 without UKA membership. Concessions are available. Membership forms are available on the Spartans website www.fvspartans.org.uk Please ask if you would like a paper copy.
If you want to know more about the Spartans please contact Jim Brown (0793 968 7509), Vivienne Honey 07702 846304 or visit their website www.fvspartans.org.uk
E N D S
More from Jim Brown (Press Officer) 0793 968 7509 or Vivienne Honey (Secretary) 07702 846304