A fantastic last race in the series of five cross country league fixtures moved Fairlands Valley Spartans men up to second overall. On the day the club’s combined men and women were second on 2198 behind Trent Park first on 1873 but ahead of host club Royston who were third with 2471. The nineteenth club scored 13,609.
In a tough hilly event on Therfield Heath ANDREW PATTERSON was second in the race in 35 minutes 1 second and confirmed his second place in the series. SIMON JACKSON was seventh in 36:24 which moved him up to third veteran (40 plus) in the series. 23rd in 38:14 was enough for GRANT RAMSAY to clinch the top spot as winner in the veteran series. JASON ANDERSON was in the top twenty of the 299 finishers on 15th in 37:50.
The Spartan men won the league masters’ trophy with 93 fixture points. Overall the men were second on 84 fixture points having squeezed ahead of Royston and St Albans Striders both on 81.
Thirty four Spartans, 22 men and twelve women ran in the final race. MICHELLE REEVES was the club’s fastest woman and 20th female in the race in 48:35. The rest of the women’s “A” team consisted of ISABEL GREEN, 28th in 50:57; CLAIRE PULLEN, 30th in 51:05; LAUREN ING, 42nd in 52:39 and HAZEL CLARK, 49th in 53:33.
ZOE JACKSON led in the “B” team at 67th in 57:29, supported by KELLY McHALE, 70th in 57:45; CLARE COX, 85th in 61:02; SOPHIE COWAN, 86th in 61:03; and SUE HAMER, 87th in 61:07.
|2||ANDREW PATTERSON||35:01||Series second man. Men’s “A”|
|7||SIMON JACKSON||36:24||Series 3rd Vet 40. Men’s “A”|
|15||JASON ANDERSON||37:50||Men’s “A”|
|23||GRANT RAMSAY||38:14||Series 1st Vet 40. Men’s “A”|
|32||STEFFAN FORD||39:20||Men’s “A”|
|52||RICHARD SPRINGALL||41:08||Men’s “A”|
|53||TODD GRAY||41:15||Men’s “A”|
|65||TOM SAUKA||42:25||Men’s “A”|
|109||JAY PAPA||45:53||Men’s “B”|
|123||STEVE MAYFIELD||46:43||Men’s “B”|
|131||PETE SMITH||47:29||Men’s “B”|
|148||MICHELLE REEVES (F)||48:35||“A” 20th woman|
|154||NICK CROWLEY||48:51||Men’s “B”|
|155||DARREN EMMERSON||48:53||Men’s “B”|
|168||MARK GOODWIN||50:20||Men’s “B”|
|171||ISABEL GREEN (F)||50:57||“A” 28th woman|
|174||CLAIRE PULLEN (F)||51:05||“A” 30th woman|
|182||NEIL ROBINSON||51:22||Men’s “B”|
|195||LAUREN ING (F)||52:39||“A” 42nd woman|
|205||HAZEL CLARK (F)||53:33||“A” 49th woman|
|207||ANDREW SMITH||54:01||Men’s “B”|
|236||ZOE JACKSON (F)||57:29||“B” 67th woman|
|241||KELLY McHALE (F)||57:45||“B” 70th woman|
|262||CLARE COX (F)||61:02||“B” 85th woman|
|263||SOPHIE COWAN (F)||61:03||“B” 86th woman|
|264||SUE HAMER (F)||61:07||“B” 87th woman|
|265||CALLIE CHAPMAN (F)||61:15|
|285||SHARON CROWLEY (F)||66:28|
The Mid Week Road Race League starts in May.
Love Welwyn 10K
Running her first race and the furthest she’s ever run LISA SMITH very nearly broke the hour when she finished Sunday’s Welwyn Love 10K in one hour and seventeen seconds (1:00:17). ELLA GOWER came in with 1:08:24.
It was only SHANI HUNT’s second 10K and she improved by three minutes to 1:10:23 and considering the weather conditions she was happy with that. MARIA QUICKE finished in 1 hour 11 minutes 21 seconds.
EMMA POULTER ran the Welwyn 10K in 1:21:56. It was only her second 10K.
Punchbowl Marathon – Sunday, 12th February 2017
The Punchbowl Marathon is called a marathon, but it is actually 30 miles in the Surrey countryside from the Village of Witley.
The forecast snow did not arrive, but it was wet enough underfoot to make the course very hard going, with plenty of climbing and stony tracks. ROGER BIGGS completed the 30 miles in 8 hours and 19 minutes.
Fastest Spartan parkrunner of the week was STEVE GREEN who completed the Princes parkrun in Liverpool in 19 mins 39 secs for 10th place in the men’s event on his first visit to the course.
The rest of the Green family were running closer to home at Panshanger Park. ISABEL was third woman to finish in 23:16 (a new course personal best), joined on the course by daughter Georgina (32:08, also a new course PB) and son Daniel (34:18). BEV HARLOW was 63rd woman in 34:47 while JOHN ROXBOROUGH was the sole Spartan male at the course, finishing 25th in 22:25.
On home soil in Fairlands Valley VERITY FISHER was 6th fastest woman in 24:20 and has a seemingly unassailable lead in the women’s points competition with two weeks to go. The other Spartan women in attendance were CLAIRE COX (32:05), HAZEL SMITH (35:05) and CALLIE CHAPMAN (35:58).
CHRIS HOLLAND was fastest Spartan man at Stevenage, achieving a new course PB finishing 16th in 21:52, with NICK GILL 17th in 22:01. MARK BEASLEY was 22nd in 22:46 and MARTIN DUDLEY 26th in 22:53. The other Spartan running were THOMAS SAUKA (22:59), TIM ROBINSON (23:41, new course PB), DARREN EMMERSON (24:13), DANIEL SUTTON (24:44), PETER CARPENTER (30:49) and JAMES SOUTH (46:30).
Finally DARYL STEVENS ran at Brockenhurst completing in 40:30.
The Spartans Presentation Evening is in the Cromwell Hotel, Old Stevenage on Friday 24th February.
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks including cross country league. The opportunities include:
- Veterans County Cross Country Championships on Sunday 19th February.
- Serpentine 5K in Hyde Park on Friday 24th February.
- Spartans Presentation Evening in Old Stevenage on Friday 24th February.
- Roding Valley Half Marathon on Sunday 26th February.
- Essex 20 and Berkhamsted Half Marathon on Sunday 5th March.
- Finchley 20 including Hertfordshire Championships on Sunday 12th March.
- Welwyn Half Marathon on Sunday 19th March.
- Sandy Ten and Wymondham 20 on Sunday 26th March.
- Serpentine 5K in Hyde Park on Friday 31st March.
- Lee Valley 10K and Half Marathon in Waltham Forest on Sunday 2nd April.
- Brighton Marathon on Sunday 9th April.
- Maidenhead Easter Ten on Friday 14th April.
- London Marathon on Sunday 23rd April.
- County 1500 Championships in Stevenage on Monday 1st May.
- Dereham 10 (ten miles) on Sunday 7th May.
- First Mid Week Road Race League match on Wednesday 10th May.
- Summer Solstice 10K at St Albans on Tuesday 16th May.
- Stirling Marathon on Sunday 21st May.
- Mid Week Road Race League in Hitchin on Wednesday 14th June.
- Herts Veteran 10K Championships at Welwyn on Sunday 25th June.
- Mob Match on Thursday 13th July.
- Fairlands Valley Relays in Stevenage on Thursday 27th July.
- Herts Senior 5K Championships at Hatfield on Wednesday 30th August.
- Herts Veteran 5K Championships at Hatfield on Wednesday 13th September.
- Herts Senior 10K Championships at Standalone on Sunday 1st October.
- Peterborough Half Marathon on Sunday 8th October.
- Stevenage Half Marathon on Sunday 22nd October.
- St Neots Half Marathon on Sunday 19th November (TBC).
- Bass Belle 10 near Royston on Sunday 26th November.