Fairlands Valley Spartans BRIAN WHITE won the 60 plus winner’s trophy at Sunday’s Watford Half Marathon. He completed the hilly 13.1 miles in 1 hour 30 minutes 13 seconds and was 189th overall out of the 1,629 finishers.
JASON ANDERSON was first in for the club at 39th with 1:19:53, a personal best (PB) by three minutes.
Despite the climbs CAROLE SHELDRICK achieved a new personal best of 2:03:39.
ANDREW BUSSOLINI was 335th in 1:35:36 and ANDREW JORDAN 410th in 1:38:17.
JIM BROWN completed the race 5 minutes 26 seconds faster than last year. He was 784th in 1:49:09. JENNY PAUL finished in 2:09:31 (1,372nd); CAROLINE CROFT in 2:09:32 (1,387th) and SHARON CROWLEY in 2:19:01 (1,508th).
|39||JASON ANDERSON||1:19:53||Personal Best|
|189||BRIAN WHITE||1:30:13||Winner Vet 60|
|784||JIM BROWN||1:49:09||7V60. 5:26 faster than 2016|
|1252||CAROLE SHELDRICK||2:03:39||Personal Best|
Lee Valley Velopark 10K
TIM SABAN was fourth in the Lee Valley Velopark 10K with a time of 43 minutes 33 seconds and KAREN BROOM 71st in 1:01:11.
JOHN NELMS ran his second ultra of the year. The Thames Trot from Oxford to Henley was 48 miles. He finished 62nd out of 150 runners in 9 hours 2 minutes.
Mount Lucas Marathon – 5th February 2017
ROGER BIGGS took another step in his quest to complete a marathon in all 26 Irish Counties.
The Mount Lucas Marathon was run near Tullamore, the County Town of Offaly. It was in Mount Lucan Wind Farm on good tracks, on a virtually flat course. The route was one kilometre out from the event centre, eight laps of five kilometres amongst the wind turbines, to return back to the finish at the event centre. Roger completed his 20th different Irish County in a time of 4:48:28.
Three Spartans enjoyed the Cancer Research London Winter Run 10K. ELLA GOWER finished in 1 hour 6 minutes 33 seconds while CAREN THAIN and SHANI HUNT came in together in 1:13:12.
With no Stevenage parkrun this week because of a conflicting event in Fairlands Valley it was a quiet week of parkrunning for Spartans.
Quickest Spartan of the day was THOMAS SAUKA who went to Bedford and ran his first sub-20 5k of the year, finishing 11th in 19 mins 57 secs, a new course personal best. BARRY OSBORNE and KEN JUDE both made first visits to Ellenbrook Fields in Hatfield, Barry finishing 16th in 23:08 and Ken finishing 41st in 26:01.
DANIEL SUTTON and VERITY FISHER headed down to Finsbury parkrun for the first time. Danny was 88th man in 24:21 and Verity was 20th woman in 24:49. Finally DARRYL STEVENS was on the road away from his usual south-coast runs this week, popping up in the Forest of Dean where he finished 44th in 42:57.
The Spartans presentation evening will be in Old Stevenage on Friday 24th February.
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks including cross country league. The opportunities include:
- Fifth and Final Cross Country League Race at Royston on Sunday 12th February.
- Veterans County Cross Country Championships on Sunday 19th February.
- Serpentine 5K in Hyde Park on Friday 24th February.
- Spartans Presentation Evening in Old Stevenage on Friday 24th February.
- Roding Valley Half Marathon on Sunday 26th February.
- Essex 20 and Berkhamsted Half Marathon on Sunday 5th March.
- Finchley 20 including Hertfordshire Championships on Sunday 12th March.
- Welwyn Half Marathon on Sunday 19th March.
- Sandy Ten and Wymondham 20 on Sunday 26th March.
- Serpentine 5K in Hyde Park on Friday 31st March.
- Lee Valley 10K and Half Marathon in Waltham Forest on Sunday 2nd April.
- Brighton Marathon on Sunday 9th April.
- Maidenhead Easter Ten on Friday 14th April.
- London Marathon on Sunday 23rd April.
- County 1500 Championships in Stevenage on Monday 1st May.
- Dereham 10 (ten miles) on Sunday 7th May.
- Summer Solstice 10K at St Albans on Tuesday 16th May.
- Stirling Marathon on Sunday 21st May.
- Herts Senior 5K Championships at Hatfield on Wednesday 30th August.
- Herts Veteran 5K Championships at Hatfield on Wednesday 13th September.
- Herts Senior 10K Championships at Standalone on Sunday 1st October.
- Peterborough Half Marathon on Sunday 8th October.
- St Neots Half Marathon on Sunday 19th November (TBC).
- Bass Belle 10 near Royston on Sunday 26th November.
We should know the 2017 Mid Week Road Race League dates soon after 8th February.