Nicola and Richard Kennedy did the Easter Running Festival 10K in Port Erin, Isle of Man.
Nicola ran 47 minutes 37 seconds and Richard completed Friday night’s event in a new personal best (PB) of 43:20.
Boston Marathon – Monday, 17th April 2017
ROGER BIGGS took a train ride north to Boston in Lincolnshire, to take part in the second Boston Marathon.
Held on the same day as the famous Boston Marathon in Massachusetts, this was run over a very rural course, thought to be the flattest marathon in the UK.
Roger completed the marathon in 5:12:43, to finish in 371st place out of 412.
Herts 10K Walk
DAVID BOWKER took a bit of a trek to take part in the Hertfordshire County 10K track walk championships on Wednesday. They were in Tooting Bec, south London. Several other counties participated part in the same event. He finished ninth overall and third, BRONZE MEDAL, in the Herts championships with 1 hour 11 minutes 3 seconds.
Easter weekend saw Spartans in parkrun action across England and Wales, and also in the southern hemisphere.
Two Spartans were in action in Wales. STEFFAN FORD ran a new parkrun PB of 18:36 at Cardiff parkrun finishing in 31st place, while KAREN BROOM was at LLANELLI COAST where she ran 28:47.
Closer to home, at Ellenbrook Fields JOHN HARRIS was sixth in 18:53 with CHRIS HOLLAND 31st in 22:42, a new course PB. Two Spartans were at Panshanger which is starting to blossom in the spring weather. ANDY JAY ran 23:49 while TIM ROBINSON ran 26:41.
At Stevenage NICKY WILBY was fourth woman in 24:55. ZOE JACKSON was tenth in 26:55 and CAROLINE CROFT 27th in 30:23. KAREN PALMER (30:27), HILARY DAVIES (32:28) and PAULINE FARNHAM (34:52) also ran.
For the men, NICK GILL was 12th in 21:49, LIAM ERRINGTON 15th in 22:14 and MARTIN DUDLEY 27th in 23:00. PAUL MAGUIRE (23:57), ROBERT EVANS (24:05, a new course PB), VISHAL SHAH (25:02), THOMAS SAUKA (25:18), JIM BROWN running for the first time on the local course (27:04) and JOHN McCALL (30:01) were the other Spartans at Stevenage.
To the north, HAYLEY BIRONNEAU ran 26:47 at Kings Lynn, and EMMA POULTER ran 35:10 at Cleethorpes. VERITY FISHER was sixth at Rutland Water in 22:44, a new PB (personal best), with DANIEL SUTTON also competing there in 23:34, a new course PB.
On the south coast, ANOUSKA GREENAWAY was third at Brighton & Hove in 20:48, a new course PB, while DARRYL STEVENS was at Brockenhurst where he also ran a new course PB of 35:56.
Finally STUART HAYCROFT was second man at Grey Goose in South Africa in 20:05 with JANA HAYCROFT sixth woman in 28:02. Both achieved new course PBs.
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks. The opportunities include the County 1500 and other track championships in Stevenage on Monday 1st May – entries close this Friday. Others are:
- London Marathon on Sunday 23rd April.
- Serpentine 5K in Hyde Park on Friday 28th April.
- County 1500 and other track championships in Stevenage on Monday 1st May.
- Herts County Five Mile Championships for Seniors at Pednor on 1st May.
- EMAC Track and Field at Bedford on Wednesday 3rd May.
- Dereham 10 (ten miles) on Sunday 7th May.
- First Mid Week Road Race League match on Wednesday 10th May.
- Ross Peers Half Marathon on Sunday 14th May.
- Summer Solstice 10K at St Albans on Tuesday 16th May.
- Stirling Marathon on Sunday 21st May.
- Mid Week Road Race League in Stevenage on Wednesday 24th May.
- EMAC Track and Field at Cambridge on Wednesday 7th June.
- Mid Week Road Race League in Hitchin on Wednesday 14th June.
- Herts Veteran 10K Championships at Welwyn on Sunday 25th June.
- Mid Week Road Race League from Ridlins on Wednesday 28th June.
- EMAC Track and Field at Milton Keynes on Wednesday 5th July.
- Mob Match at Welwyn Garden City on Thursday 13th July.
- Fairlands Valley Challenge from Stevenage on 15th and 16th July
- EMAC Track and Field at Stevenage on Wednesday 26th July.
- Fairlands Valley Relays in Stevenage on Thursday 27th July.
- Herts Senior 5K Championships at Hatfield on Wednesday 30th August.
- Herts Veteran 5K Championships at Hatfield on Wednesday 13th September.
- Herts Senior 10K Championships at Standalone on Sunday 1st October.
- Peterborough Half Marathon on Sunday 8th October.
- Stevenage Half Marathon on Sunday 22nd October.
- St Neots Half Marathon on Sunday 19th November. Enter fast.
- Hertfordshire Five Mile Championship for Veterans at Hatfield on Sunday 26th Nov.
- Bass Belle 10 near Royston on Sunday 26th November.