Fairlands Valley Spartans are in Egypt!! They have recently visited Luxor and the Aswan Dam. The club ran an impressive 470 miles on Sunday with times posted by 58 members. That’s the second highest recorded since their virtual journey began. In addition a bonus 234 miles for the week was added by members who are not on Facebook.
So that’s 7,507 miles run in 28 days. They have run through England, France (including Autun), Germany (including Ingelheim), Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan (including Shymkent), Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Iraq, Jordan and Egypt. It’s amazing how far you can get in a lockdown! They have 4,324 miles to go to reach their final destination which is Stevenage’s fourth twin town, Kadoma in Zimbabwe.
This week three Spartans ran the Fly 5K virtual event. They were TRACY PEZ 74th in 24:41; NICK KLEANTHOUS 118th in 28:45 and PAUL HOLGATE 130th in 31:15. There were 152 finishers this time.
The England Athletics Virtual 5K Road Running Championships on 11 to 13th July are open to all ages (seniors and veterans) but you must register in advance.
Parkrun Roundup 27th June 2020
Fairlands Valley Spartans and many others are looking forward to the 200th Stevenage Parkrun which will be the first local parkrun when the events can restart. The 199th parkrun was on Saturday 14th March. It’ll be some party when they restart.
Parkruns have restarted in some countries but not yet in the UK. In the meantime seven Spartans virtually raced the (not) Stevenage Parkrun. They were MARIAN MORLEY 26:41; JAMES McSWEENEY 27:08; NICK KLEANTHOUS 28:32; PAUL JENNINGS 28:42; NICOLA ANDERSSON 29:11; PAUL HOLGATE 31:15 and BETH FOLEY 32:55.
A side effect of virtual racing is that you can be taking part in more than one event with the same run.
The Spartans are looking forward to a busy programme of races, social and training events when it is possible for events to start again, including (please check as, obviously, race dates may change depending on government and UKA guidance):
- County 10,000 metres track championships at Sandy at 8.15p.m. on TBA (See Herts CAAA website).
- Hatfield Broad Oak (virtual) 10K qualifying runs between 10th and 20th July. Also a 5K option. You must register in advance.
- England Athletics Virtual 5K Road Running Championships on 11 to 13th July. Open to all ages. You must register in advance.
- Fairlands Valley Challenge in Stevenage on Sunday 19th July (VIRTUAL).
- Relays in the Park (3K stages), the Hertfordshire Road Relay Championships, in Fairlands Valley Park on Thursday 23rd July (CANCELLED. Enjoy virtual races).
- St. Albans 10K on Sunday 2nd August (Check with ATW).
- Bearbrook 10K in Aylesbury on Sunday 2nd August (CANCELLED).
- Burnham Beeches Half Marathon on Sunday 9th August (CANCELLED).
- Clacton Half Marathon and 10K on Sunday 16th August.
- EMAC Track and Field fourth league meeting on Wednesday 2nd September (NOW may be an open event).
- St Albans Stampede on Saturday 5th September.
- Bedford Half Marathon and 20 miles on Sunday 6th September (CANCELLED).
- Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday 6th September (NEW DATE).
- Milton Keynes Marathon Weekend Re-Imagined. Run in MK between 6th and 19th September (NEW DATE).
- Peterborough Marathon on Sunday 13th September (CANCELLED).
- Brighton Marathon Weekend, Friday 18th to Sunday 20th September (NEW DATE).
- Stevenage 10K on Sunday 20th September (VIRTUAL EVENT).
- EMAC (Eastern Veterans) Track and Field League Final in Bedford on Saturday 26th September (CANCELLED).
- London Marathon on Sunday 4th October (NEW DATE).
- Standalone 10K (including County veteran championships) on Sunday 4th October (CANCELLED).
- Manchester Marathon on Sunday 11th October (NEW DATE).
- Great Eastern Run (half marathon) in Peterborough on Sunday 11th October (CANCELLED).
- Chelmsford Marathon on Sunday 18th October (CANCELLED).
- Stevenage Half Marathon (including County senior championships) on Sunday 1st November.
- Silverstone Half Marathon, 5K and 10K on Sunday 15th November.
- Bass Belle ten miles on Sunday 29th November.