Owing to an emergency diversion Friday’s Serpentine 5K was slightly long but Fairlands Valley Spartan DAVID BOWKER ran an excellent 21 minutes 8 seconds for a 75% score. MADDIE PRITCHARD was not far behind with 21:24. JIM BROWN was second in his category with 24:49. The race round London’s Hyde Park was in cool, dry but breezy conditions.
There were 279 finishers. The next Serpentine 5K will be on Thursday 16th February, one week earlier than usual.
Presentation Evening, Dinner and Disco
The championship and other awards will be presented at the Fairlands Valley Spartans Champions Night in the Cromwell Hotel, Old Stevenage at 7p.m. on Friday 23rd February. Tickets £25. You can find more information on www.fvspartans.org.uk
Coach to London
Do you have an entry to the London Marathon on 22nd April 2018? Have you thought how you will get to London from Stevenage on the big day? Fairlands Valley Spartans have a coach from Stevenage and there are spare places. The cost is just £10. If you would like to join us, please contact Roger Biggs on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fastest Spartan of the parkrun weekend was ASHLEY SCHOENWETTER who was first woman, and third overall, at Cassiobury Park in Watford in a time of 19:36. Spartans running at other parkruns away from Stevenage included GARETH COWELL (15th at Rosliston in 22:30), BARRY OSBORN (18th at Oak Hill in 21:13). EMMA POULTER (24th at Westmill in 41:32) and NICK GILL (8th at Wanstead Flats in 20:50). At St Albans, DAVE SMITH ran the only Spartan course PB of the weekend, finishing 25th in 20:19.
At Stevenage DANNY SCANLON was first Spartan finisher, in 9th place in a time of 20:21. THOMAS SAUKA and TIM SABAN were next in 15th and 17th respectively. NIKKI WILBY was best Spartan woman, 23rd in 27:49 with VERITY FISHER one second behind in 24th place and SHARON CROWLEY the third Spartan woman in 30:08.
Hertfordshire gained another new parkrun this weekend as Letchworth opened for business and attracted a large field of 388 for its inaugural event. Four Spartans headed over there and JOHN HARRIS finished 14th in 21:43 with the others being MICHAEL O’KEEFE (31:23), MONICA SMITHSON (34:30) and TRACY STILES (36:25).
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks including:
- UKA Club Run at Fairlands Valley Spartans on Thursday 1st February.
- Watford Half Marathon including veteran county championships on Sunday 4th February.
- Bramley 20/10 (20 miles or 10 miles) on Sunday 11th February.
- St Valentine’s 30K at Stamford on Sunday 11th February.
- Serpentine 5K on Friday 16th February (please note change of date).
- Cross Country League at Royston on Sunday 18th February.
- Fairlands Valley Spartans Champions Night on Friday 23rd February.
- National Cross Country Championships, Parliament Hill Fields on Saturday 24th February.
- Baldock Beast on Sunday 25th February.
- Welwyn Half Marathon on Sunday 4th March.
- Big London Half Marathon on Sunday 4th March.
- Milton Keynes 5K and 10K on Sunday 11th March.
- Finchley 20 miles (including Herts County) on Sunday 18th March.
- Oakley 20 miles on Sunday 18th March.
- Serpentine 5K on Friday 23rd March (please note change of date).
- Orion 15 classic cross country at Chingford (Epping Forest) on Saturday 24th March.
- County Cross Country Championships for Veterans at Royston on Sunday 25th March.
- Maidenhead Easter Ten on Friday 30th March.
- Sandy Ten on Sunday 8th April.
- London Marathon on Sunday 22nd April.
- Flitwick 10K on Sunday 29th April.
- Stirling Marathon on Sunday 29th April.
- EMAC track and field event one on Wednesday 2nd May.
- County 1500 and veteran track and field championships on Monday 7th May.
- Pednor Five including county championships for veterans on Monday 7th May.
- Mid Week Road Race League 10K in St. Albans on Thursday 24th May.
- EMAC track and field event two on Wednesday 6th June.
- Welwyn 10K including senior county championships on Sunday 24th June.
- EMAC track and field event three on Wednesday 4th July.
- Fairlands Valley Challenge off road on Sunday 15th July.
- EMAC track and field event four on Wednesday 1st August.
- Standalone 10K on Sunday 7th October.
- Peterborough Half Marathon (GER) on Sunday 14th October.
Full Spartan Parkrun results from Saturday 27th January were as follows:
|St Albans||28||25||Dave SMITH||00:20:19||New course PB|
|Oak Hill||18||18||Barry OSBORNE||00:21:13|
|Wanstead Flats||8||8||Nick GILL||00:20:50|