Many Spartans got into Christmas with Saturday’s Santa Canta at Letchworth on Saturday, a very festive occasion with lots of great costumes. The 5K run was around Norton Common.
RICHARD SPRINGALL was second in 19 minutes 32 seconds; JOHN HARRIS top ten with seventh in 20:29 and TIM SABAN 17th in 22:19. YUKO GORDON was the fastest female from Fairlands Valley Spartans, she was 35th in 24:45 with MADDIE PRITCHARD at 49th in 24:45. ROSIE INGRAM was 57th in 25:03.
LEE PICKERSGILL came in with 25:54 for 80th. He was followed by KAREN PALMER, 28:01; ERICA GRAYSON 28:12; VICTORIA BRETT 28:56; CLAIRE HYDE 29:24; CAROLINE CROFT 29:59 and KAREN BROOM 31:49.
Two More Fives
Sunday’s Perivale Five was on a lovely course which ANN TRYSSESOONE covered in 39 minutes 24 seconds.
DAVE STEPHENSON ran the Victory Five, Portsmouth in 36:56 with TESSA STEPHENSON in 42:18.
With four weeks to go 234 different Spartans have at least one event completed in the short championships and 153 in the long championships.
SUZY HAWKINS leads both women’s long distance tables. In the open championship she has 68.3% compared with 63.1% for NICOLA KENNEDY; 61.4% for ISABEL GREEN; 57.2% for HAZEL SMITH just ahead of KERSTIN WEINER on 57.1%. The long distance championship consists of the three distances of 10 miles, half marathon, 20 miles and marathon.
Suzy also leads the age related championship. Her score is 70.9%. Just 0.04% separates CAROL PAUL second on 66.34% and NICOLA KENNEDY on 66.30%. JAN FRY, fourth, on 63.9% is just ahead of CATHY CRAIG on 63.8%. So far nineteen women have completed a full qualifying series in the long distance championships. There’s still for others to qualify.
ALISON WOOD leads the women’s short distance championship with an amazing 84.5%.
There are long and short distance championships for men and women. The presentations will be made at Fairlands Valley Spartans’ Annual Dinner, Presentation Evening and Dance on Friday 23rd February.
There was a Spartan double at Stevenage parkrun as CALLUM STEWART was first male finisher in a new course personal best (PB) of 16 minutes 44 secondss and NATALIE LAWRENCE was first woman in 22:26. For the men NICK GILL just missed a top 10 position, finishing 11th in 20:48 while VERITY FISHER was sixth woman in 23:21.
There was also a new course PB for CHANTAL O’FLAHERTY in 49:00.
Full Spartan results from the parkruns of 2nd December 2017 were as follows:
|Bedford||259||77||Michelle MARCHANT||00:32:58||First parkrun|
|Stevenage||1||1||Callum STEWART||00:16:44||New course PB, 1st man|
|Stevenage||24||1||Natalie LAWRENCE||00:22:26||1st woman|
|Stevenage||157||54||Chantal O’FLAHERTY||00:49:00||New course PB|
|Ellenbrook Fields||68||53||Michael O’KEEFE||00:29:20|
Fairlands Valley Spartans will be going into the third race of the cross country series with their women 8th out of the twenty teams – up from 12th, and their men fourth, up from sixth after the first event. The race will be at Willian at 10a.m. on Sunday 17th December.
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks including:
- Spartans Christmas Party with an 80s theme on Friday 8th December.
- Festive Five at Welwyn Garden City on Sunday 10th December.
- Cross Country League at Willian on Sunday 17th December.
- Witham Five on Tuesday 26th December.
- Buntingford Year End 10 on Sunday 31st December.
- New Year 10K in Hyde Park on Monday 1st January 2018.
- County Cross Country Championships at Cassiobury Park on Sunday 7th January.
- Cross Country League at Watford on Sunday 14th January.
- Fred Hughes 10 miles including county championships at St. Albans on Sunday 21st January.
- Southern Cross Country Championships on Saturday 27th January.
- Watford Half Marathon inc. veteran championships on Sunday 4th February.
- Bramley 20/10 (20 miles or 10 miles) on Sunday 11th February.
- St Valentine’s 30K at Stamford on Sunday 11th February.
- Cross Country League at Royston on Sunday 18th February.
- Fairlands Valley Spartans Champions Night on Friday 23rd February.
- Baldock Beast on Sunday 25th February.
- Welwyn Half Marathon on Sunday 4th March.
- Finchley 20 miles (including Herts County) on Sunday 18th March.
- Oakley 20 miles on Sunday 18th March.
- Orion 15 at Chingford (Epping Forest) on Saturday 24th March.
- London Marathon on Sunday 22nd April.
- Stirling Marathon on Sunday 29th April.