On a beautiful sunny morning CRAIG HALSEY was a top ten finisher in the Sandy Ten Mile race. He was eighth in 58 minutes 15 seconds. GRAHAM BLACKBURN was 110th in 1:16:01. Stepping down from her usual marathon distance CAROL PAUL had a good run for 235th in 1:27:28 and SHARON CROWLEY was 377th in 1:42:21.
Ashridge Duathlon series: Race 2
The Ashridge Duathlon was held in the grounds and surrounding roads of the Ashridge Estate. The start and finish had the stunning Ashridge House as the backdrop.
Over distances of 10K run, 44K cycle and 5K run BRIAN WHITE finished in 20th position in 2 hours 39 minutes 43 seconds and was first vet 60. He was about 12 minutes quicker than race 1.
TOM SAUKA completed the same event in 2:33:59 and was seventh in his category..
Wicked Marathon – Saturday, 25th March 2017
ROGER BIGGS travelled to the Town of Wamego in central Kansas for the Wicked Marathon. The town is known for its connections with the film ‘Wizard of Oz’.
Roger could have used some help from the Wizard, with rain, wind and the local terrain to deal with. Luckily the storm clouds moved away, and Roger managed to get round the course in 4:41:06, to place second in his age group.
Clear blue skies and a chilly easterly wind were the conditions facing eleven Spartans in action at Stevenage parkrun. JASON ANDERSON ditched his planned hills session for a parkrun effort, and a decent effort it was too! He was second finisher in 16 mins 59 secs in his first run at the Stevenage venue, a 31 second improvement. JOHN NELMS continued his return to action following a break finishing 13th in 21:05 and LIAM ERRINGTON was the third Spartan home in 22:04. DARREN EMMERSON (23:36), SELVAN NAICKER (39:41), JAMES SOUTH (42:21, still on the easy list) and IAN ALEXANDER (tail-running in 52:22) were the other men running.
For the women, ISABEL GREEN was 11th in 26:30, choosing to take in the parkrun as part of a longer Saturday run. HAZEL SMITH was 30th in 28:47, a second in front of CALLIE CHAPMAN in 28:48 with SALLY PHILLIPS completing the Spartan contingent in 21:15.
ELLA GOWER went to Panshanger Park with no preconceptions as to her expected time and ran a new course PB of 31:42 knocking more than two and a half minutes off her previous best here. MARIE HUTCHINGS also ran, completing in 36:23.
Regular tourists DANNIEL SUTTON and VERITY FISHER were in the midlands, running at Brueton parkrun. Daniel completed in 23:30 and Verity was 5th woman to finish in 23:35.
Finally, DARRYL STEVENS was one of 868 runners who ran at Poole parkrun. He completed in 38:23 on his first visit to this venue.
Some other Spartans tackled the Stevenage Start of Summertime cycle rides.
Fairlands Valley Spartans are organising a coach to the start of the London Marathon on Sunday 23rd April. The club have spaces left on the coach for anyone who would like a lift to the start area at Greenwich Park & Blackheath. The cost is £10 per person, leaving the Old Town at 06:30hrs. Have a look at www.fvspartans.org.uk
Many Spartans will be enjoying a busy programme of races, social and training events over the next few weeks. The opportunities include:
- Serpentine 5K in Hyde Park on Friday 31st March.
- Lee Valley 10K and Half Marathon in Waltham Forest on Sunday 2nd April.
- Brighton Marathon on Sunday 9th April.
- Maidenhead Easter Ten on Friday 14th April.
- London Marathon on Sunday 23rd April.
- County 1500 Championships in Stevenage on Monday 1st May.
- Herts County Five Mile Championships for Seniors at Pednor on 1st May.
- Dereham 10 (ten miles) on Sunday 7th May.
- First Mid Week Road Race League match on Wednesday 10th May.
- Ross Peers Half Marathon on Sunday 14th May.
- Summer Solstice 10K at St Albans on Tuesday 16th May.
- Stirling Marathon on Sunday 21st May.
- Mid Week Road Race League in Stevenage on Wednesday 24th May.
- Mid Week Road Race League in Hitchin on Wednesday 14th June.
- Herts Veteran 10K Championships at Welwyn on Sunday 25th June.
- Mob Match on Thursday 13th July.
- Fairlands Valley Relays in Stevenage on Thursday 27th July.
- Herts Senior 5K Championships at Hatfield on Wednesday 30th August.
- Herts Veteran 5K Championships at Hatfield on Wednesday 13th September.
- Herts Senior 10K Championships at Standalone on Sunday 1st October.
- Peterborough Half Marathon on Sunday 8th October.
- Stevenage Half Marathon on Sunday 22nd October.
- St Neots Half Marathon on Sunday 19th November (TBC).
- Bass Belle 10 near Royston on Sunday 26th November.